Mesothelioma Treatment Centers
Mesothelioma is a rare cancer of the lungs, caused by the inhalation of asbestos particles. The asbestos fibre, when inhaled gets lodged in the tissues lining the lungs, heart, diaphragm, and testicles and in the long run, it turns cancerous. The symptoms are so confusing that early detection becomes rather difficult.
The most commonly occurring types of mesothelioma are:
• Pleural Mesothelioma
• Peritoneal Mesothelioma
• Pericardial Mesothelioma
• Testicular Mesothelioma
Early signs of this disease are:
• persistent dry cough
• shortness of breath
• difficulty in breathing
• unusual lumps under the skin near the chest
• pain under the rib cage
• weight loss
X-rays , CT scans, MRIs, Pet scans, biopsies, and testing of the pleural fluid are the ways of detecting the disease. Treatment involves a combination of surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation.
STAGES OF MESOTHELIOMA
There are four stages of mesothelioma. When the stage number increases the severity of the disease also increases. Patients diagnosed with stage 1 or stage 2 mesothelioma have several treatment options available before them. Their survival rates are also promising. But for patients with stage 3 or stage 4 cancer, the treatment usually consists of palliative care aimed at making life comfortable and less painful for them.
MESOTHELIOMA TREATMENT CENTRES IN THE US -
Many factors are to be considered when selecting the treatment center for mesothelioma. The survival rate depends on whether a person is treated at a specialized cancer center with surgeons, oncologists, and radiologists who have experience in mesothelioma treatment. A top mesothelioma treatment center is one which has the latest technology and an aggressive approach to the tackling of the disease. Also, the location of the hospital, the travel ability, financial status, insurance plans, availability of clinical trials, and expert doctors play an important role in determining the treatment center.
The following are the top treatment centers for mesothelioma in the USA
• Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston - Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH) offers first class cancer care to its patients. Cutting edge treatment strategies are developed here, and great emphasis is placed on mesothelioma treatment. BWH is home to the International Mesothelioma Program (IMP) which specializes in Pleural Mesothelioma using the latest treatments. BWH has locations throughout Boston, and every year, around 46,00 patients are being treated in these centers. Its director Dr. Abraham Lebenthal is a thoracic surgeon who plays a major role in the IMP of this hospital. IMP embraces a multimodal approach, and offers multiple treatment options for mesothelioma, and other conditions. IMP is also a center for mesothelioma research.
• Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston - This hospital works in partnership with BWH. It offers outpatient care while inpatient care is offered at the nearby Brigham and Women’s hospital. This center is a national leader in cancer care and research. Patients receive the highest quality of care at this center because the affiliation between Dana-Farber and Brigham and Women’s allows the doctors to share crucial knowledge. Also, patients can meet with all of the specialists in one visit.
• MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston -
Was ranked the No 1 ‘Best Hospital for Cancer Care’ in 2018 by the US News and World Report. The Mesothelioma program of its Department of Thoracic/Head and Neck Oncology is the largest in the country. It is one of the original three cancer centers in the United States. It has a cancer treatment and research center located at the Texas Medical Center in Houston.
• Lung Institute at Baylor College of Medicine, Houston - This was set up by Dr. David Sugarbaker, the founder of IMP. This center has recruited many of the nation's top mesothelioma specialists. Their research program is one of a kind, and it’s the focus is on matching novel therapies to the unique genetics and characteristics of each patient’s tumor. It also offers holistic care for patients and their families.
• H.Lee Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, Florida - The Mesothelioma Treatment program is one of the best in south eastern USA. It offers innovative treatment options like intensity-modulated radiation therapy for mesothelioma.
• Abramson Cancer Center, Philadelphia - The center’s Mesothelioma and Pleural Disease Program offers patient specific treatment plan. Specialists in oncology, surgery, and radiation collaborate to develop a patient-specific treatment plan. This approach includes the most advanced and minimally invasive surgical techniques. A range of cancer therapies is offered at the Abramson Cancer Center.
• UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, Los Angeles - The center’s Comprehensive Mesothelioma Program offers innovative surgical options and postoperative care. It also partners with the VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System to provide care to veterans. UCLA has a reputation for developing new cancer therapies and providing the best in experimental and traditional treatments.
• University of Chicago Comprehensive Cancer Center, Chicago - Here, State-of-the-art treatment options and clinical trials are available. The National Cancer Institute has named it